A format with equal opportunity
A format that has all teams playing against each other is the best opportunity for teams to play in a tournament. Teams are not divided into groups. This will allow teams to play against all participants.
The forthcoming 2019 World Cup format is based on all teams playing against each other.
This format was applied during 1992 World Cup in Australia, and surprisingly Pakistan won the World Cup!!.
Here is a points analysis of 1992 World Cup
- 2 points for a win
- 1 point for Abandoned matches
- Each team playing against each other once
- The top four qualified for semi-finals with top team playing bottom team.
- Overall each team played 8 games
Here is a breakdown of points system after half way stage and before semi-finals.
a) After 4 games
- New Zealand had won all its 4 games = 8 points
- England won 3 and Abd 1 = 7 points
- Sri Lanka won 2, lost 1, and Abd 1 = 5 points
- South Africa won 2, lost 2 = 4 points
- West Indies won 2, lost 2 = 4 points
- Pakistan won 1, lost 2, Abd 1 = 3 points
- India won won 1, lost 2, Abd 1 = 3 points
- Australia won 1, lost 2 = 2 points
- Zimbabwe lost 4 = 0 points
Note – At half stage NZ and Eng were top of the table followed by Sri Lanka. West Indies and South Africa were tied at fourth position.
B) after 8 games (before semi-finals)
- New Zealand won 7, lost 1 = 14 points
- England won 5, lost 2, ABD 1 = 10 points
- South Africa won 5, lost 3 = 10 points
- Pakistan won 4, lost 3, Abd 1 = 8 points
- Australia won 4, lost 4 = 8 points
- West Indies won 4, lost 4 = 8 points
- Sri Lanka won 2, lost 4, Abd 1 = 5 points
- India won 2, lost 5, Abd 1 = 5 points
- Zimbabwe won 1 , lost 7 = 2 points
Note – At end of 8 games – Both Sri Lanka and West Indies lost their spot for a place in last four.
West Indies had a greater chance to qualify for semis as they were playing the last round of matches. They were with 8 points and win(2 pts) or non-loss(1 pt) against Australia would have allowed them to qualify for the semi-finals!. Pakistan had 9 points with no matches left but they had lost to West Indies earlier. However Australia won against West Indies that allowed Pakistan to qualify in semis.
To conclude this small post – Currently all T20 Franchise tournament is based on each team playing against each other twice!
One feels this format should be used in all ICC tournaments and they should omit matches played in groups
Here is a result summary table of 1992 World Cup