I have created a simple point rating system for the ODIs. All data starts from Nov 2012 (new fielding law of 4 fielders only was employed) till the beginning of 2015 World Cup.
Only win matters, therefore there are no points given for abandoned and tie matches!.
Here is how the methodology of rating point works :-
- There are (2)points for wins.
- Away wins get 4 points(not for the World Cup).
- Higher ranked teams winning against lowest ranked gets less points, and more points for lowest ranked team win against highest ranked teams(see table below).
I have employed a bonus point system for margin of wins and it applies for all type of matches.
- 5 points for winning by 100 or more runs
- 5 points for winning by 6 or more wickets
- 5 points for winning with more than 15 overs to spare (for both 1st/2nd bat teams).
Below is the list of teams in ranking order(as per ICC rankings) and points given for winning against them. I have divided 14 participant teams into 4 levels.
|Rankings as on Feb 3-(before WC2015)||Teams||Levels||Points for winning against these teams|
Here are the points(from highest to lowest) from last 2 years (does not include games played by two associate members) till the beginning of 2015 World Cup.
|Nov 2012-Feb2015||Mts||Won||% win||Points|
For the World Cup to have an additional impact i have varied my rating point system slightly. I have added player’s caps(only wins). The winner gets the difference points between teams. There are no away points for the World Cup.
Here is a link to 2015WC ratings-http://allthatcricket.com/?p=7962